Home > Schools > Public Schools > Larkin Grammar School
Larkin Grammar School
Post card photo courtesy of Ron Crowther
Larkin School demolition; 1988 photo from the Delaware County Daily Times, Courtesy of Lucinda Cooper.
9th & Crosby Streets
Principals | Faculty | Staff | Classes | School History | Recollections
Mrs. Mary Rainsden (1899)
Some faculty (c.
1921-1922), thanks to Abe Soifer: - 2
Some faculty (1932) - 4
Some faculty (1935 & 1936) - 3
Some faculty (1944-1948), thanks to Dan McGinniss, email@example.com:
Miss Ferrone (married Merretti)- 6
|Staff:||Some former Custodians:
Mrs. John Marlor (1899)
|Classes:||A picture of an early Larkin School Class|
|School History:||Built in 1894 by Joel Lane who
also built the original Chester Times building at 5th & Market Streets.
Larkin School was closed in June 1975 and was destroyed by fire on September 1, 1977. The remains of the structure were demolished the following year.
The following sketch on the naming of the school is from the Manual of the Public Schools of the City of Chester, PA, compiled from "standard authorities" and with the assistance of Henry Graham Ashmead, Esq.:
"John Larkin, Jr., was for many years one of the leading citizens of Cheater and of Delaware County. He was born in Concord Township, October 3, 1804, and died at Chester, July 22, 1896. For nearly fifty years he was closely associated with the business interests of Chester, and prominent in its political and social life. For eleven years he was a member of the borough council of Chester, and president of this body for six years. On the organization of the city government he became the first Mayor of Chester, and held the office for six years, after which period he declined a re-election.
"The section of Chester in which he was a resident during his later years was earlier known as Larkintown. It was Mr. Larkin who opened the present Broad Street [9th St.] to travel by taking down panels of fence across his own land. Many of the houses now standing in the vicinity of this street were erected by him. The Graham School was for many years called the Larkin School, until, on the completion of the new granite building, the Directors of the school district thought it adviseable and appropriate to transfer the name of the most prominent resident of the neighborhood to its finest schoolhouse.
"A crayon portrait of Mr. Larkin adorns the assembly room of the Larkin school."
Note: Mr. Larkin was
present at the laying of the school's cornerstone.
following poem was submitted to the Delaware County Daily Times during
1988 when the remains of the building were being demolished. At the time,
the newspaper reported that the author was "believed to be a former
Chester resident who now lives in Phoenixville." Our thanks to
Lucinda Cooper for sharing this with us:
They're tearing down the dear old
- Joseph Guest, Phoenixville
"My father, Abe Soifer,
attended Larkin School in 1921-22 before going on to Chester High School where he played
football, basketball and baseball. He later played football at Allentown Prep and Temple
If you have any information and or pictures that you would like to contribute about this school, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Many thanks to the following for providing additional information for this page:
1 - Dan McGinniss
2 - MTSoifer@aol.com
3 - Sara Rounds
4 - Carmen J. Cornacchia
5 - Bob Vaughan
6 - Marc Sindell
7 - LaVerne (Paden) Herron
© 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 John A. Bullock III.
This page last updated 10/18/05