Home > Civic/Social & Religious Organizations > YMCA

YMCA

Early YMCA, West side of Edgmont Avenue at 5th Street (1905).
514 Market St.

This building was previously occupied by the Union League Club and earlier had been the residence of Joshua P. Eyre.

1905 YMCA; Photo courtesy of David Andrews

Photo above courtesy of David Andrews, dandrewsdh@aol.com

 

The "Old" YMCA, 7th & Edgmont Ave.., Chester, PA

ymca.jpg (13589 bytes)

Photo above courtesy of Terry Redden Peters
in memory of her grandparents, Frank and Bertha Packer.

 

The "New" YMCA, the John G. Pew YMCA Building, 2 S. Eyre Dr., Chester, PA, completed 1956.
Dedicated Sunday September 23, 1956

New YMCA; Photo by George F. Nelson

Photo above by George F. Nelson, gnelson@vero-online.net

Former Officers  |  History  |  More Pictures

West Branch YMCA - 7th & Yarnall St. (c. 1977)

If you have any information and or pictures that you would like to contribute about the history of this organization, please forward it to john@oldchesterpa.com


Former Officers: First President (1860): Samuel A. Crozer

1956 Officers:

President: A. H. Knabb

Chairman of Board of Trustees: John L. Wetherill

General Secretary: Kenneth S. Dale


History: The Chester YMCA was formed in 1860 at 514 Market St., Samuel A. Crozer, President.

Prior to 1888 housed in old Chester Republican League building on West side of Edgmont Ave. in the middle of what is now (1956) the 5th Street roadbed.

Moved to 7th & Edgmont Ave. in 1907, that building closed 9/10/1956 to move equipment and files to the new John G. Pew YMCA building, 2 S. Eyre Dr. which was dedicated on Sunday September 23, 1956. The 7th Street building was sold to Adams Clothing Co.

Contract for the new building was awarded to Nason & Cullin, Philadelphia, PA, December 14, 1954.

West End Branch Y:

Between 7th & 8th, Flower & Yarnall Sts.

Site formerly occupied by Lamokin Village annex.

Ground acquired December 20, 1954.

Dr. Larney E. Hardy - Pres. of West End Branch
Joseph S. Hunt - Vice Pres. of West End Branch


More Pictures: Y.M.C.A. Football Team 1909-1910, courtesy of Frank C. Bramble

Y.M.C.A. Glee Club c. 1940's, courtesy of Ralph L. Hall

Liberty Club

2001, 2002, 2003, 2006 John A. Bullock III.

GDPub2.JPG (7902 bytes)

This page last updated 05/26/06