Home > Schools > Colleges & Universities > PMA/PMC > Widener University

Widener University

"Old Main", Widener University, February 2001

"Old Main", Widener University, February 2001, John A. Bullock III.

Formerly Pennsylvania Military Academy (PMA), Pennsylvania Military College (PMC), and Widener College.
Home of Jonathan Edwards & Louisa Deshong Woodbridge, now a part of the Widener Unviersity campus.

Click here to visit the Widener University website.
Widener Art Collection & Gallery's web site.
Widener University's PMC Museum website.
Widener University's Photo Archives pages.

Presidents | Faculty | Staff | Sports | Classes | School History | Art Collection & Gallery


Presidents:  
Dr. Clarence Moll, 1959-1981
Mr. Robert Bruce, 1981-2001
Dr. Lawrence Buck (Acting President), 2001- 2002
Dr. James T. Harris III, July 1, 2002 - Present

Click here for the earlier PMC Presidents


Faculty: Some Teachers:

Staff:

Sports: Some Coaches/Athletic Directors:

Classes:

School History: Visit Widener University's website for a more complete history of the school.

The following profile is taken from a Widener University publication:

WIDENER UNIVERSITY PROFILE

Founded in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1821, Widener University is a comprehensive, teaching institution chartered in both Pennsylvania and Delaware. Widener's eight schools and colleges offer liberal arts and sciences, professional and pre-professional curricula in 150 programs of study leading to an associate's, bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree. The University's schools include the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Engineering, School of Hospitality Management, School of Human Service Professions, School of Law, School of Business Administration, School of Nursing and University College.

The modern structure of the University was introduced in 1972, when the cadet corps was disbanded and the academic offerings were reorganized into the forerunners of today's schools and colleges. Concomitantly, the name Widener College (1972-1979) was adopted in recognition of Philadelphia's Widener family, a descendant of which served as chair of the University's Board of Trustees.

In recognition of its comprehensive offerings, Widener College became Widener University in 1979. Graduate programs had been introduced in 1967 with a master's program in engineering, followed by the master's of business of administration and then by 60 additional master's and doctoral programs.

The University acquired its Delaware campus in 1976. Today, the 40-acre campus in suburban Wilmington houses the Widener University Law Center, a branch of University College, and graduate offerings from the School of Business Administration. The Harrisburg campus, opened in the fall of 1989, houses a branch of the School of Law and master's level nursing courses. All other academic programs are offered on the main campus in Chester.

Inaugurated in September of 1981, Robert J. Bruce is the eighth president of Widener University, and only the second since Widener achieved University status. He has presided over much of the expansion of the institution and the upgrades of the physical plant, while encouraging its partnerships with other institutions of higher education, neighboring communities and businesses across the country.

In October 2000, the ribbon was cut on the expansion of Alumni Auditorium and the opening of a new University museum, the first phase of which pays tribute to the Pennsylvania Military College.

For Widener's future, construction continues on a new academic facility that will house departments of the School of Human Service Professions, while groundbreaking for the $9 million School of Business Administration is scheduled for spring 2001, and a successful capital campaign will provide for improvements to the science and mathematics building.

Additionally, Widener was instrumental in the initiative with Crozer Keystone and University City Science Center to build University Technology Park, the first phase of which was opened in June 1999.


Art Collection & Gallery The Widener University Art Collection and Gallery is located in University Center (expanded and renovated in 1997), on the main campus of Widener University.

The permanent University collection includes the impressive Alfred O. Deshong Collection of 19th century American and European paintings and 18th and 19th century Asian art.

Admission is free. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. School groups and groups of 10 or more must call at least two weeks in advance. The gallery is handicapped accessible.

Click here for the Widener Art Collection & Gallery's web site.

Contact information:

One University Place
Chester, PA 19013-5792
Phone: 610-499-1189

Hours (September through May)

Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Wednesday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The Gallery is closed between Christmas and mid-January for winter break.

Please call for summer hours. The Art Gallery is closed during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of July and for all major holidays.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If you have any information and or pictures that you would like to contribute about this school, please forward it to john@oldchesterpa.com


2002, 2003 John A. Bullock III.

GDPub2.JPG (7902 bytes)

This page last updated 10/18/05