Times - MICROFILM ROLL #4
Death of Mr. John Lilley
The sad news of the death of Mr. John Lilley, one of our well-known manufacturers, which occurred at his home #404 West Third Street this morning at 8:05 o'clock after a lingering illness, was heard with feelings of sorrow by our citizens. Mr. Lilley complained of feeling badly on Saturday, July 2, and left the Mill for his home, where he has been confined ever since. For a week he has been bedfast and suffered much, especially for three or four days past, his disease being consumption of the bowels.
The deceased was born in Mosley, England, March 15, 1815 and, at the age of 7 years, he left his native country for America. At that youthful age he arrived in Chester and secured employment in the Mill
at Waterville. While here, one of the Sharplesses took a great interest in him and he got along very well. He remained but a few years and, in 1826, he returned to old England, where he remained until 1839, when he returned to America and settled in Chester County. In 1856 he again started his fortune in this city where he has since remained, and the success that has attended that move showed his good judgment. In 1856
he started in the manufacturing business in the Mill at Front and Parker Streets, associating with him Colonel N.L. Yarnall and Samuel Montgomery, under the firm name of Lilley and Yarnall.
At this place he remained 10 years, in 1875 entering into partnership with his son
John at the Lamokin Mills, Front and Franklin, under
the firm name of John Lilley & Son. This firm has been very successful, owning a large tract of land on which is built a large brick Jean Mill, which has been running almost constantly since the above partnership
was formed. At the beginning of this year, the Liiley & Son Manufacturing Company was formed, four of his sons besides himself forming the Company of which he was President.
Mr. Lilley was an experienced manufacturer understanding the business thoroughly, having entered it at an early age, working at every branch early and late. He gave much thought and care to his business, always when he was building, superintending it himself, and displayed good judgment in the management. From the time he started the business until the close of his life, he spent nearly all of his time about the Mill. The only period of any length that he was away from his business was in 1877, when he visited England for a few months for his health, and to see old friends. Upon his return, his employees tendered him a reception and presented him with a gold-headed cane as a slight testimonial of their appreciation of his worth. He was always beloved by his employees, never discharging any, if it was possible to get along with them. He was large and liberal-hearted, kind and sympathetic with the poor, possessed of excellent traits of character, and highly esteemed by all.
The deceased was a consistent member of the 2nd Presbyterian Church and one of the Elders. For many years he has been an active member of the St. George Society of Philadelphia, an organization to aid Englishmen. Aside from this, he belonged to no other organization nor did he ever aspire to political honors. He was strong in Republican principles.
He leaves a widow and 8 grown-up children to mourn his loss. He was father of 13 children, 9 sons and 4 daughters. Three of his sons served in the late Rebellion, one of them being killed in the Battle of the Wilderness, near Fredericksburg. One of his sons holds the position of Sealer of Weights and Measures of the County and resides at Chelsea. One of his daughters is the wife of J.C. Kepner, the druggist at 3rd and Franklin.
He will be buried from his late residence on Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Interment in the
Chester Rural Cemetery.
Thanks to Sandra
Eberhardt, Parrotsville, TN for sharing