Home > Churches > Orthodox > St. George Greek Orthodox Church
St. George Greek Orthodox Church7th & Kerlin St.
|Former Priests||Father Demetrios
Ouzounyanis, first Priest
Father Michael Sophocles, August 14, 1944 - 1960
Father Devedjakis, 1960-1975
Father James Laliberte, 1975 -
|Church History||The cornerstone was laid October
1949."Its history traces back to 1915. Oldest Greek Orthodox Church
in Delaware County. 1937 started a fund . 1942 they bought a large house and carriage
house at West Seventh Street between Butler and Kerlin. Father Demetrios Ouzounyanis was
the first priest. May 4th 1943 was the date of incorporation signed by 15 Charter Members
at Delaware County Court House. After the first priest passed away, Father Michael
Sophocles became the pastor Aug 14 1944. They built a new church on tha adjacent lot
1949-1950. Named St George after Andrew Varikis brother who died in the first world
War. Father Sophocles served until 1960. Father Devedjakis was the priest until 1975.
Father James Laliberte became the priest in 1975. In Sept.9,1979 they rebuilt
on 30 East Forge Road, Media, Pa."
Thanks to Henrietta Landis, Henribetta@aol.com, for this historical sketch
© 2000 John A. Bullock III.
This page last updated 02/24/07